Define your mortgage terms

With all this talk about mortgage rates it’s time to take a closer look at all those mortgage terms—and make sure you really have the best possible mortgage.

by Romana King
March 18th, 2011

Part 1: Open or Closed

Despite the proliferation of information regarding mortgages, there’s still a lot of confusion about what’s the best deal.

Unfortunately choosing the best mortgage really does depend on your specific circumstances: your job security, current and future rates, payment options, payout penalties, flexibility, and various reward options.

But in an effort to add a bit of clarity, I thought it might help to define a few key terms, while providing a bit of guidance on the best mortgage for specific circumstances. However, because this topic can get quite lengthy, I’ve split this information into three posts. Part 1: Open vs. closed. Part 2: Fixed vs. variable. Part 3: Other considerations. So, read on to find out what’s the best mortgage for you.

Open Vs. Closed

First, you’ll need to decide between an open or closed mortgage.

Closed mortgages require you to commit to a specific period of time (known as a term). If you try and close, change or pay-off a closed mortgage before the term ends you will be charged a penalty.

Open mortgages, on the other hand, allow you to pay off all or part of the loan at any time, without penalty. But, for this privilege, you’ll end up paying more up front—meaning a higher interest rate.

To help you make the choice between an open and closed mortgage answer the following questions:

1)   Do you plan (or expect) to move/sell your home before the mortgage term ends?

2)   Do you expect a large sum of money, such as an inheritance, within a predictable (and short) period of time?

3)   Are you carrying a mortgage for a smaller sum because of tax considerations? (But, you have the ability to pay off the mortgage should the need arise?)

4)   Did you buy the home as an investment with the intent of flipping/selling it within a short period of time?

If you answered yes to any of the following, then consider an open mortgage. For just about everybody else, look at closed mortgage options.

Next: Part 2: choosing between fixed and variable rate mortgages.

19 comments on “Define your mortgage terms

1. I’m aware about this previously, however there have been some helpful pieces that concluded the image for me, thanks a ton!

2. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

3. I would like to point out my affection for your generosity giving support to folks that really need help with your study. Your very own commitment to passing the message all through became extraordinarily helpful and have in every case encouraged folks just like me to reach their targets. Your personal invaluable publication implies a great deal to me and a whole lot more to my mates. Best wishes; from everyone of us.

4. That appears to be fine yet i’m just still not too certain that I prefer it. However will look further into it and choose for myself! :)

5. Thank you for another magnificent post. Where else could anybody get that type of info in such a perfect way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.

6. I seemed to be aware about this previously, but nonetheless there was clearly several beneficial pieces that finished the picture to me, appreciate it!

7. I really love reading these blogs. It helps you to learn a more of all things around… And gives you the confidence..

8. Now, that’s a nice beginning however i’m going to explore that a touch more. Will show you exactly what else there really is.

9. My spouse and i undoubtedly must think far more in that course and find out a few things i can do about that.

10. Ok, this is a good start but i’m going to consider that a great deal more. Will show you what else there really is.

11. Great information, even better to see a blog that has a great layout. Nicely done.

12. Love hearing what people have to say.. and no one gets slandered for their opinion! GLAD to find a blog I enjoy.

13. I carry on listening to the news update lecture about receiving free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i get some?

14. Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks

15. This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask.