- Morningstar warns investors against the false sense of security provided by stop-loss orders. As the flash crash has shown, these stop-loss orders can have disastrous consequences.
- What was behind the violent swings in ETF prices? What can investors do to protect themselves? John Heinzl weighs in.
- Jon Chevreau highlighted a report from Vanguard Group titled Deficits, the Fed, and rising interest rates: Implications and considerations for bond investors in his column in the Financial Post. Mr. Chevreau urges investors not to make ill-timed tactical adjustments based on forecasts of which way interest rates are headed.
- Preet says that the next time you hear a talking head on TV use the phrase “a stock picker’s market”, it’s a signal that the next few minutes of your life are going to be a giant waste of time.
- Michael James weighs periodic rebalancing against threshold-based rebalancing and comes down in favour of the latter.
- Kevin Press takes a closer look at media reports that focused on the fact that close to half a million homeowners will be in trouble if mortgage rates rise to 5.25% and finds reasons for optimism.
- Canadian Couch Potato calls high tracking error and fees, the “dirty little secret” of indexing.
- Got a tax refund this year? Million Dollar Journey offers some ideas on what to do with the windfall.
- Mr. Cheap reviews Saving Penny, a web-based video series offering young women financial tips and information.
- The Financial Blogger draws inspiration from the perseverance displayed by the Montreal Canadiens. Go Habs! Go!
- Larry MacDonald welcomes RBC Direct Investing’s recent announcement that it will allow clients to hold US dollars in their RRSP accounts.
- The Dividend Guy suggests how to plan when stuff happens when it comes to dividend investing.
I’m unable to highlight all the articles worth checking out in my weekly round up but you can check them out through my Twitter feed. Have a great weekend everyone!
- Dos and Don’ts in Trading ETFs
- This and That: Emotional investors, forecasting folly and more…
- This and That: Interest rates, Couch potato blog and more…
- Original Couch Potato Portfolio
- TD Waterhouse Review