The downside of equality

Young female drivers could soon pay as much for auto insurance as men.

woman_bills_0111_120
Young female drivers have long enjoyed a big advantage over their male peers: cheaper car insurance rates. Until recently, it was hard to argue reverse discrimination. The stats clearly showed that young men have far more accidents. But gender roles aren’t just changing at home and in the workplace, they’re changing on the roads too. These days women seem to be driving more like men—and if recent trends continue, it won’t be long before both genders are paying the same.

Twenty or 30 years ago, a young male paid as much as 150% more in premiums compared with a young female, whereas today, a young man might pay 20% more. The main reason for the change in premiums is the simple fact that young females now spend more time behind the wheel, so they get into more accidents. “When I was young, I picked up my girlfriend and drove her everywhere, even though she had a licence,” recalls Jim Christie, a 60-year-old insurance expert with Ernst & Young. “Today, both young men and young women are out driving cars.”

Christie has also noticed a change in young women’s driving behaviour. “This is anecdotal, but when I see young drivers today weaving in and out of the highway and speeding—things that inexperienced people do because they believe they’re invincible—it’s a female as often as it’s a male.”

Christie points out that the auto insurance premiums have always been the same for men and women with more than 10 years of driving experience, and he won’t be surprised if that soon becomes true for young drivers too. After all, one major insurance company is already reporting that over the last five years, losses from young female drivers in Ontario were already higher than they were for young men.

45 comments on “The downside of equality

1. So women are bad drivers afterall. I been saying that for years. Women can't drive.
    Bad enough we gave them the vote.
    (heh, just funning with you)

2. testing

3. It's Canuckguy with the first comment. I don't see my nome de plume handle next to the comment.
    Does anybody?

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention The downside of equality | MoneySense -- Topsy.com

5. It's nice to see the insurance companies realizing the fact that there are a lot more women on the road these days. It's too bad young people have to pay so much more for insurance even if they are good drivers….but you have to love the discounts you get as you stay safe and get more experience.

6. If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you’ll know which is right for you.

7. Need help please! Has any man or lady acquired any functioning experience while using conditioning computer software from 10BuckFitness? My new private coach swears by these wokouts and he and his son have similarly long gone from simply fire hydrants to tri-atheletes from the last twelve june thru september or so. I’,m in lookup of the very good lifting computer software for bodybuildingFor only 10 bucks- i am considering, but would be thankful for any encounters instead much. Thanks!

8. Hm, I am comfortable with this but nevertheless not 100 % convinced, hence i am about to research a little more.

9. That appears to be good although i’m still not too sure that I prefer it. Anyways will look further into it and decide personally! :)

10. I constituted totally seeking this kind of subject material for a while . After that all the time similar to uninterrupted Googleing, at last I got it in your blog . I inquire whats exactly the lack like Google routine the store’s dont social status this rather illuminating websites in pinnacle of each list . Typically the premier sites are full along the lines of refuse .

11. Everyone loves what you guys are up too. Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll.

12. I want to show my respect for your kindness giving support to men and women that must have assistance with this one study. Your personal commitment to passing the message all over had been really important and have really permitted many people just like me to achieve their pursuits. Your own insightful guide indicates a great deal to me and additionally to my fellow workers. Best wishes; from everyone of us.

13. Well, that is certainly great, however what about additional options we’ve got here? Do you mind writing one more article about all of them too? Thanks!

14. Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance. I must say you’ve done a fantastic job with this. Also, the blog loads very fast for me on Safari. Superb Blog!

15. Hm, So i’m comfortable with this however not entirely certain, hence i’m about to research a tad bit more.

16. I must say that overall I’m fairly taken with this blog. It’s clear that you know your subject material and that you’re passionate about it. I wish I possessed your potential to post. I have book marked your webpage and look forward to far more updates.

17. It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

18. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

19. I was aware of this previously, however there are several beneficial bits which concluded the image for me, regards!

20. My spouse and i surely have to think much more in that direction to see what i can do over it.

21. I was aware about this previously, nevertheless there have been a few beneficial bits that finalized the image for me, thank you!

22. Well, it is good, but think about the other choices we’ve got here? Would you mind making one more post about these as well? Cheers!

23. Quite helpful information. Thanks so a lot, really helpful and easy to fully grasp.

24. Hey, I recently hopped across to your current webpage via Bing. Not necessarily a thing I would generally browse, however I loved your views anyways. Cheers for making some thing worth reading.

25. Pingback: houston car audio