With a good travel credit card, travel suddenly becomes affordable. And it helps if you sign up for the right travel credit card—one that doesn’t just focus on points—but also has perks like companion flights, amazing insurance coverage and flexibility with transferring points between cards.
Winner: BMO World Elite MasterCard
Generous cash back: 2% back in travel on all card purchases.
Welcome bonus: $200 sign up bonus.
Anywhere, anytime travel: Book with no blackout periods. Points can be used to cover all flight charges and taxes.
Best in class travel and medical insurance (unlimited trips per year).
Personal effects coverage that is good for the entire duration of the trip, not just when traveling on common carriers. No other issuer offers this.
Four complimentary airport lounge visits per year worth over $200, and you can bring a guest.
Points never expire and there are no limits on what you can earn.
Second place: Scotiabank Gold American Express
- Offers one of Canada’s richest reward rates of 4% on gas, grocery, dining and entertainment, 1% back on everywhere else
- $300 spending bonus
- Flexible – offers the flexibility to redeem your cash equivalent points for any travel expense
- Comprehensive travel insurance coverage
- VIP lounge access with Priority Pass Lounges worldwide
- Discounts and other special offers on hotels, airfare, car rentals, cruises and vacation packages
Third place: American Express Gold Rewards
- Flexibility – transfer points to other reward programs such Delta, SkyMiles, Asia Miles
- $250 welcome bonus
- 2 points per dollar on gas, groceries, travel, pharmacy (one point is valued at $0.01)
- Book any airline and fly any day
How much would you get in rewards in one year*?
|Net reward (excluding 1st year sign-up bonus|
|BMO World Elite MasterCard||$537|
|Scotiabank Gold American Express Card||$546|
|American Express Gold Rewards Card||$204|
*Based on $2,000 of monthly spending
Honorary Mention: Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
- Best hotel points credit card
- 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you charge $1,500 in purchases to your card in your first 3 months
- Earn 2 Starpoints for every dollar of eligible purchases charged to the card at participating SPG and Marriot Rewards hotels
- Redeem Starpoints for free nights with no blackout dates at over 1,300 of the world’s most desired hotels in nearly 100 countries
- Use Starpoints for flights on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates with SPG flights
More from Canada’s Best Credit Cards 2017:
- Credit card pairs to fast track rewards
- Credit card terminology deciphered
- Juice your credit card rewards points
- 7 serious strategies for rewards fanatics
- MoneySense Credit Card Finder