- The Bank of Canada increased interest rates by 1/4 per cent this week. The Prime Rate to which the interest rate on variable-rate mortgages and lines of credit are tied to was also bumped up by a similar amount to 2.5%. The direction of interest rates is uncertain as the Bank noted that there is “considerable uncertainty” in its outlook.
- Fortune magazine profiled Rob Arnott, whose firm offers a number of “fundamental indexes”.
- The “flash crash” of May 6 revealed a major weakness of ETFs. Many ETFs traded momentarily at prices much lower than their NAV. This Wall Street Journal article offers five trading rules for ETF investors.
- In theory, rebalancing is an excellent idea. In practice, writes Larry MacDonald rebalancing has a huge problem.
- The recently renamed Money Smarts Blog offers suggestions on how to avoid RESP withdrawal penalties when a child doesn’t go to school.
- Michael James points out that people respond to garbage bag taxes but not in the way we might expect.
- Million Dollar Journey featured a guest post on the importance of paying attention to financial statements.
- Promod Sharma on the 13 questions to ask of an investment that sounds “too good to be true”.
- Tom Bradley of Steadyhand funds pans the new BMO ETFs for their narrow focus.
- Holy Potato takes a stab at estimating if BP is a value play after the beating the stock took in light of the Gulf of Mexico disaster.
- Revisiting High-Interest Savings Accounts
- This and That: Getting rich off Rich Dad, “teaser” interest rates and more…
- This and That: Valentine’s Day edition
- More RRSP Tips
- This and That: Choosing an advisor, Currency Hedging and more…
This and That: Interest rates, Rob Arnott and more… is brought to you by Canadian Capitalist — Helping you to invest & prosper.