Thinking about buying a home? Not sure where to start? While budget will often dictate your house-hunting efforts, it’s a good idea to consider what will actually turn a house into your perfect home. To narrow down what will work best for you answer the following 10 questions:
1) Do you like doing yard work?
2) Do you travel infrequently?
3) Do you love entertaining many guests?
4) Do you need a lot of green space to feel calm and relaxed?
5) Are you a handy person?
6) Do you make decisions independently (rather than discussing matters, say, with friends and family)?
7) Do you enjoy being responsible for financial decisions and all related matters?
8) Do you require easy access to car parking?
9) Does more living space matter rather than better access to amenities, such as theatre or restaurants?
10) Do you prefer a bit of space from your neighbours?
If you answered ‘yes’ to 8 or more of the questions, you should seriously omit condos and town-homes from your home search, as you’ll probably be a lot happier in a single family home.
If you answered ‘no’ to most of the questions, you’ll probably be much happier in the turn-key lifestyle a condo or town-home can offer.
If, however, your answers are split down the middle, then you’ll want to pay particular attention to what the strata-lifestyle can offer, versus the house option. If more outdoor space and a bit more separation from your neighbours is top of the list, you could consider a town-home. It’s still strata-living—meaning you don’t have to rush home from vacation to make sure the sidewalk is shovelled—but offers more house-like options than an apartment-style condo.