Sun Life setting up mutual fund business

Life insurance company creating stand-alone mutual fund company.

Canadians already have a lot of investment choices, but come fall we’ll have even more. Sun Life Financial — a Toronto-based company that’s mostly known for their life insurance offerings — announced today that it will open a stand-alone mutual fund business in the next few months.

The company will utilize MFS Investment Management, it’s U.S.-based asset manager, in the Canadian market.

Kevin Dougherty, Sun Life Canada’s president, explains this move. “We are expanding our wealth business in Canada by bringing more choices and innovative products to retail investors,” he said in a press release. “Combined with our life insurance options, Sun Life is uniquely positioned to provide broad-based wealth management and protection solutions for Canadians.”

The company already sells mutual funds through its advisors, but this move will separate their life insurance and mutual fund operations.

I’ve put in some calls for comments, so stay tuned for updates.

Follow Bryan on Twitter.

13 comments on “Sun Life setting up mutual fund business

• Yeah! Let's see just how innovative their products are!

1. Duh ! Sun Life created a stand-alone mutual fund company called Spectrum in 1987. At the time it was considered the jewel of the canadian mutual fund industry, but the reputation dwindled and they sold it to C.I. Funds around 2000… what gives ?

2. Will the mutual funds be sold under the sunlife banner, or will the funds be sold under a new name?

• It's not clear, but from what I gather it's going to be a separate company with a different name. They haven't announced a new name though.

3. Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is simply great and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

4. Hi there, I found your site via Google while looking for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

5. Warning: long comment. I apologize before hand but I want to complement this helpful site with my own experience on wealth management . Right now, I work at a large hedge fund that primarily uses options so I’d say I have some insight into the financial sector. Between my husband and I, we’ve always looked up to Warren Buffet. When Buffett was a young man, he used leverage to became a multimillionaire by forming partnerships and sharing in their profits. He invested very little, but received a large portion of profits in exchange for his brilliant investment decisions. This was a truly win-win situation for him and his partners. My advice is to start slow with investments, read up on the award-winning thesis by Delos Chang – it really details just how great mutaul index funds are. S&P 500, in my opinion, is tough to beat if you’re looking for a decent return. Of course, if you’re investing during drug wars and mortgage housing crises..that might be a bit difficult. But if you haven’t already, take a quick read on the arguments provided in Delos Chang’s article if you’re investing in the long run – say for children (quick tip: the educational 401k exempts you from federal financial aid). If you’re looking to day trade, one advice for you: better get your stuff together because you better know more than the brokers and dealers in the NYSC!

6. This domain seems to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It gives a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something real or substantial to say is the most important thing.

7. I have been seriously hoping to find anything on this subject and your blogging perfectly fits my present needs. Please blog more along these lines? Visitors need to find this knowledge as well as the kind of impartial viewpoint that you provide.